Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Do Mississippi Teachers Deserve a Raise?

I can't scroll through my Facebook news feed, or listen to my local news lately without reading and hearing about possible pay raises for teachers in my state.  It has been seven years since teachers in Mississippi have received a pay raise.  I've been teaching lower elementary for 7 years.  Which means I've never received a raise.

There are two things that this blog WON'T be...

1.  I'm not going to try and convince you that teachers deserve a raise.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  I simply want to give you a glimpse of what a teacher does everyday.  

2.  I'm not complaining about my job.  I LOVE teaching.  There is no other job in the world more rewarding.  I feel blessed to be able to spend my days molding young children.



A Teacher's Job

TEACHER:  It is my responsibility to teach my 22 first graders all standards needed to move to 2nd grade.  I design lesson plans for every subject, everyday.  I write a reading, language, and math lesson plan for every day of the week.  That equals 15 lesson plans a week.  I must assess my students and use those assessments to write the next 15 lesson plans.

COUNSELOR:  I have heard stories from my students about their lives that you would not believe.  These stories make your emotions range from livid to devastated (so much so that it makes you sick to your stomach).  I have to take care of these children emotionally before I can teach them a darn thing.  I listen to their problems and I have to use my judgement to decide if it needs to be reported to the proper authorities.  If I do report it, I have to follow up to make sure that my student's case doesn't fall through the cracks.  

NURSE:  Due to budget cuts, our school doesn't have a nurse on campus full time.  So, I'm also the nurse.  I bandage up cuts, keep track of medication schedules, give breathing treatments, take temperatures, and diagnose various illnesses.  Can't handle vomit, don't be a teacher.  More than likely it will end up on your classroom floor (and you) at least one day a week.

POLICE OFFICER:  I break up disturbances in my classroom all day long.  I teach first grade, so most of these tussles start over a crayon or pencil.  Children can be extremely territorial...don't touch anything that belongs to them.  I have to discern between major behavior issues and ones that might have to be overlooked.  I have to let a child know that what they're doing is unacceptable in a firm yet respectful way.  I'm also a detective. I sometimes have to carry out interrogations to find the truth from master manipulators.  

BANKER:  I know that if for any reason I couldn't teach anymore, I would definitely be qualified to be a bank teller.  On any one day, I'm collecting money for 6 different things from 22 students; I must provide change and keep meticulous records in case a discrepancy ever arose.  

COMEDIAN:  Kids today have such short attention spans.  They are entertained by tv shows, amazing video games, and complicated computer games.  How in the heck can I compete with that?!  I act like a complete fool...I make crazy faces and do things that I would be HUMILIATED to do in front of a group of adults! 

PREACHER:  I have to ensure that my students have morals.  I need to teach them wrong from right because, believe me, some parents don't.  Notice I said some, not all.  I have to stop many times a day and "preach" to my students.  I want them to be successful academically, but I also want them to be good people.  

PARENT:  I am a parent to 22 children while they're in my care.  I wipe their tears.  I give them hugs when they are sad.  I make sure they eat enough of their food at lunch.  I zip their coats and tie their shoes (85 million a day, I swear). I cheer them on when they succeed.  I encourage them to try again with they don't. 

There are at least a dozen more that I could add.  I'm not trying to toot my own horn.  I can guarantee that no teacher is in the profession for recognition.  There isn't much recognition except for the "bad" teachers (for every ineffective teacher, there are 100 more outstanding ones).  We are definitely not in it for the pay!  My paycheck always runs out before my month does!  Teachers teach because they have a passion for it.  Raise or no raise, teachers will continue to do their job (above and beyond, actually) because it's wired in us.  We know no other way.  

Follow Me
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
This is a gift that I received from one of my former students for Christmas this year.  This is all the thanks I'll EVER need.

Keep on Keeping On!



1 comment:

  1. You are truly awesome! Thank you for being my son's nurse, banker, parent, comedian, preacher, police officer, counselor, teacher, and so much more! We adore you!

    ReplyDelete